Monday 1 June 2009

bits and pieces

Quo Vadis was a happy oasis for an impromptu visit on Friday night. After the V&A's 'Hats: an anthology' exhibition, a beer was in order. And after a beer comes food. I always warm to a place that takes scotch eggs or pork pies seriously, and seeing scotch eggs on the menu certified Quo Vadis a good-hearted place.

I had a tasty fish pie served in an individual baby casserole dish, the gent had slow braised ox cheeks which were sticky and meaty, surrounded by rich bacony bits. The greens were garlicky and buttery. I thought it suffered from 'looks small on the plate but mysteriously fills you up' syndrome, but this is always OK in the end, despite any initial anxiety. And then we both attacked a passion fruit brulee with vim. Next time I'd like to try the gull's eggs starter...
http://www.quovadissoho.co.uk/

This website was mentioned in the Guardian Guide this weekend and I wanted to make a note for myself. 'The history of eating utensils': how could anyone resist a peek?
http://research.calacademy.org/research/anthropology/utensil/index.html

No comments: