Wednesday 24 March 2010

weekday lunch

After 10 hours at work on Monday I wasn't at all in the mood too cook, let alone make lunches. I immediately put a fistful of spaghetti on to boil, to which I added cabbage for the last two minutes, and torn, wild garlic about five seconds before draining. Oil, parmesan, a squeeze of lime and a handful of toasted pine nuts - along with seasoning - were chucked over, stirred about, and was just perfect. (As always when hungry, I cooked too much pasta: after five minute of solid eating my dish didn't look any different!).

Inspired by the beetroot at my friend's house last week, I was delighted to espy some in our veg box. Whilst the pasta was cooking I speedily chunked up carrots, onions and a beet and put them in the oven to roast. After I had eaten and watched Masterchef - to which I am thoroughly hooked, again - I made some couscous with a dash of cinnamon and turmeric, and some vegetable bouillon. Once the grain had swelled I fluffed them with a fork and added seasoning, extra virgin olive oil, lime juice and toasted pine nuts. When cool, the couscous went into one big tub, the roasted veg into another and everything in the fridge to take to work the next day. I only needed to buy a little log of goat's cheese and I had three super lunches ready to hand. The only difficulty on the horizon is finding a spare moment to take a lunch break in!

No comments: