Saturday 15 May 2010

nut curry #2

I have just made the nut curry again and found a few interesting things.
  • making the spice paste is much quicker and easier the second time round
  • chillies vary an enormous (for which read 'frustrating') amount: I used more green chilli the second time, yet it was less spicy than before
  • my choice of a Gewurztraminer was a pretty good match! Given my haphazard choices with wine, I was really delighted with myself. Something from the Australian vineyard tour obviously sunk in!
  • the cashew version is also very good


Earlier today I made some super-quick leek and potato soup (just leeks and garlic sweated in oil, then diced potato added, with some Marigold stock and hot water). It is possibly the cheapest and easiest thing to do, and repays tenfold in terms of starchy comfort.

Finally, to complete my afternoon of kitchen pottering, I made some cocoa biscuits. Like the soup, they are minimal on ingredients - although much more demanding, as you work up an arm-achingly stiff dough. They taste far better than you think possible from the source ingredients, and are utterly more-ish. If you are interested in improving your biceps, or having a delicious nibble, then the recipe is from Nigella's Domestic Goddess book, and entitled 'Granny Boyd's biscuits'.

And then I indulged in a leisurely moment on the sofa, reading more of that lady's work and harvesting some super ideas about grouse. And lamb. And scones...

No comments: