Thursday 6 June 2013

lunch al desko #2

The success of the ripe, warm tomato and damp mozzarella pairing continues, unabated.

I baked soda bread and took it to work wrapped, cooling, in a tea towel.  One quarter of the bread is perfect for lunch: salty and wheaty and filling.  I liked this even more than yesterday's lunch with oat cakes.

My soda bread recipe has somehow knocked down to the following:

  • 200g wholemeal strong flour
  • 120g white strong flour
  • 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • some salt - quite a bit, really; maybe 1 or half a teaspoon of flaked maldon salt
  • carton of buttermilk, usually around 280ml

190 degrees and 30 minutes.



I am such a tiresome organiser that I even measure out all the dry ingredients the night before, so that of a morning I just turn on the oven, mix the buttermilk into the dry ingredients (very briefly, not even kneading it) and bung it in the oven while I take a shower or fight with flimsy contact lenses.  It is very telling that putting lenses in my eyes takes more swearing and fight than making a loaf of bread.

No comments: