Monday 8 July 2013

Mallorcan munchies

Day 2 on this highly populated desert island and there is already a routine. Ham and bread is the routine, though it is by no means unvaried.

That international favourite supermarket, Lidl, was open on a Sunday and provided chorizo salame, jamon Serrano, Lomo, jamon al corte (cooked) and others. For a varied diet, I also chose some aged Manchego-like cheese and fruit. 

In another supermarket the wonderful ham counter, dangling with whole cured hams, quite took my breath away. I did a quick, mental calculation as to how many books & clothes I would have to jettison in order to fit a bulging jamon beauty into my suitcase (and would customs allow it?): sadly, not possible this time.

Breakfast, then, might be cereal or seeded bread and cheese, and fruit and coffee, eaten to this view of palm trees, pool and sea.  Lunch could be Ham Various with avocado or tomatoes, accompanied by a perky San Miguel. And ice cream.

Evening meals so far have been resolutely calamari-based, however a reluctant foray into the salad section means that tonight we will be navigating choppy Ham And Salad waters.

As I said: a routine, but not without variation. I don't see myself getting bored any time soon. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to cool down with another dip in the briney...

No comments: