Saturday 8 April 2017

Roll on Spring

It is a perfect Spring day - too warm for April, but blue-skied and burgeoning with promise.

I have the luxury of a whole garden day and, not wishing to interrupt the flow of clipping and weeding, ran down the hill for a sausage roll for lunch. 

It is 3 years almost to the day since I first clapped eyes on my home, though it took much longer before I could move in. When a local business opened a Kickstarter campaign to open a community-focused local deli I gladly chipped in, hoping for some variety to the fried chicken shops.  I love fried chicken but a deli would definitely add something useful!

And so it is that on days like today I can pick up a hot-from-the-oven sausage roll just 5 mins from home.  I still don't have an oven of my own, so baked goods are such a treat right now. What a sausage roll it is: soft, plump, delicately flavoured.  And the pastry! It is bigger than the picture but it didn't make it to the plate without being assaulted.

Its companions are fridge-foraged: a little brown rice and flash-fried courgette with garlic, chilli and a squeeze of lime. The drink is the taste of summer 2016: elderflower cordial, made last year with my parents.

Only another month or two before the elders flower, and it all begins again.



No comments: