Thursday 3 April 2008

Just like Mumma would make (if she was Caribbean)

Goat curry from Soul Food, N1.

I had a freak out yesterday and just walked out of work: I think Bert would define it as my brain 'going for a smoko' and the only plan I could make was to came home. Even in my spooky state I realised I should eat something - my body needs to keep going even if my brain is giving up - so I took my purse to 'Soul Food' on Essex road.

There was no menu in the window and the counter consisted of covered canteen-esque dishes. I asked the super-nice lady what kind of food they served. She picked up the first cover to reveal an unctuous stew with vegetables and beef poking out 'beef stew' she said; the second was a more yellow-green colour 'goat curry' she said. I stopped her there and chose that - she even offered some for me to taste before buying, which is a brilliant idea. I had it with 'rice and peas' where the peas were acutally kidney beans. £5.95.

At home I re-housed it from its plastic tub onto a plate and realised there was heaps: yum yum. The spices and heat reminded me of the South African dish 'Bobotie' which I made once with my sister. The goat was just a tasty meat, and my only gripe would be that I wasn't fond of the bones I found in there, and I prefer more vegetables. But on the whole I loved it: I hoped that 'soul food' would somehow feed my rather poverty-stricken soul and indeed found comfort and mother-like love in it. I fell into a deep sleep and was woken by Eddie Mair presenting PM on radio four.

No comments: