Thursday 5 January 2012

cooking away the grey

Transferring dates from my 2011 diary into my new one, I found a scribbled recipe at the back. I spent a brief 2 month summer spell living with the gent and his two friends and flatmates. One of them sometimes talked about his grandmother’s amazing cooking and as he described her slow-cooked red cabbage dish I dashed down the following notes. I’m not sure I captured it very accurately but it still looks promising:

  • Oil, 6-10 cloves, cinnamon stick
  • 2 apples chopped
  • 1 red cabbage
  • 1 cup red wine vinegar
  • Cook for 2 hrs on slow

I am a bit grumpy with January – being grey and dark and not yet having got my teeth into anything new – so have decided to cook my way through the grey. I think this braised red cabbage would sit very well next to a slow-cooked pork or lamb roast. And this in turn really invites itself to be followed by rice pudding - do I mean a coconut rice pudding? Quite possibly I do.

And for sure I think this is the weekend to try it!

No comments: