Sunday 1 April 2007

01/10/06 Pinch, Punch!

Oh goodie, first of the month: new slate with finances and a full budget for food! It is a terrible thing to budget for food; I would rather eat well and feel alive than spend money on going out, so I am more generous with the food budget - and often ‘borrow’ from the entertainment fund. With all my good intentions to stick to the budget this month, I have done a very useful shop which will make a few meals and hopefully leave a portion or two to freeze, to enjoy on busy days at work.

My good intentions however, are always weakened by talking to my friend Sarah. Whenever we speak she is in the middle of a new food-love which has me itching to get in the kitchen: today it was savoury pancakes and we discussed how to keep the pancakes warm without them going crisp. (Let them cool and put them in the oven once filled, was my solution). Her filling of choice: crisp, cooked pancetta, cheese and - heck! What was it? I must have already been dribbling and lost the end of the sentence; anyway, you get the point. Unbridled deliciousness.
Even better than a chat with Sarah however, is visiting her. I predict I will stick to budget until next weekend, when we will eat lovely things, and then I will come back to my cold little flat and go mad filling it with luscious smells and oven-warmth! Last time I visited she showed me her latest treasure: Delia’s oven baked carbonara risotto. Don’t bother trying to argue that an oven risotto is, surely, rice pudding? - just try it. After tasting it you forget the mechanics and have seconds instead. Yes, it’s going to be a good weekend!

No comments: