Sunday 22 April 2007

The decadent weekend

Friday night saw carciofi coi piselli (globe artichokes with peas and buttery, pancetta-ey juices) followed by linguini al limone and seville orange ice crema to finish. I was cooking for Bez and he brought along a beautiful champagne; having started with both beer and gin, we stuck with the fizzy stuff for the rest of the night. I'm still not sure about artichokes; the amount you can't eat on it bothers me a bit, but in such buttery juices it is hard to complain too much. And it was only a starter after all. The recipe was from Anna del Conte's 'Concise gastronomy of Italy'.

The lemon linguini is one of my perennial favourites - very easy and always very good, one of the best thing to do with pasta, alongside proper carbonara. For two or three people, I make up the whole lot for six people and then cook less pasta; noone ever says it is too rich that way, and everyone always has seconds and thirds. I'm eating the leftovers tonight, fried, with a little pancetta and more cream, lemon and parmesan.

Saturday saw a trip to Borough Market where the first stop was a Monmouth coffee to cure my hangover; and a second stop to (finally) taste the falafal which I have been admiring from a distance. I also bought the most delicious looking steak ever seen, for the evening.

The evening saw my sister, brother in law, Bez and me with a summery pimms and a big menu. My sister had been busy! As a St. George's day celebration she had selected foods only from England... and decorated her hall like the terraces of a world cup match, all red cross flags!

Homemade leek and potato soup (with 'happy chicken' stock)
Goats cheese salad (with wine from Kent)
Borough Market's best sirloin steak with horseradish mash, purple sprouting and carrots. Accompanied by some completely gorgeous wine, again chosen by Bez.

Eve's pudding with west country thick cream.
There were allegedly cheeses too, but we were too drunk and full to remember!

A gorgeous feast; a gorgeously lazy, foodie weekend. May there be many more!



w

1 comment:

Bert said...

It's only taken about three weeks to catch up, but I finally got to the Decadent Weekend, and what a weekend! Oh dear Roy, you've inspired me to never let infant, nor malady, nor malaise interfere with degustation. To do so is simply deesgusting.

xxxxx Bert

(Red Snapper for dinner tonight)