Sunday 1 April 2007

03/07 Lido, Hyde Park

Whilst on a cold walk round Hyde park, accompanied only by a biting wind and a regret for forgetting my gloves, I had an urge to stop for a coffee. This is always a disappointing experience as invariably the nearest four are Starbucks, or variations thereof, filled with prams, teenagers and no empty seats. I find the whole experience so traumatic and the coffee so awful that I have mostly given up on the idea of a Saturday coffee.

So when I came across Lido, conveniently situated halfway round the lake, at just the moment I was thinking this, I rather expected the worst. I’m glad I dared myself inside though, because it was empty except for two tables, and clean. I couldn’t believe my luck! I got a latte – in one of those delightful, ubiquitous cups I love to drink coffee from; you know, conical, white, squareish handle – and a pack of shortbread.

I wish the shortbread had been home made and on a plate, rather than Walkers, wrapped in plastic; and I wish the coffee had been fabulous, rather than a bit burnt with a funny, almost metallic aftertaste… however I can barely bring myself to knock the experience, when I was so happy with my refreshment and empty café. I got a table by the window and watched a man feed half a smoked salmon bagel to his dog. Real love on a Saturday morning, and shortbread. What more could one need?

Coffee 3/5
Café and cheery staff: 5/5

No comments: