Monday 5 April 2010

january gaps

Some photos and some mid-afternoon leafing through my cook books, reminded me of things I meant to keep a note of.

New Year's Eve saw us imbing the most gorgeous half-bottle of rioja (Monte real 2003) and finishing a particularly warming chicken and chorizo stew. I hope I made mention somewhere of how much better the 'hot' paprika is than the 'sweet' version in this warm-spicy dish.

The next morning, after some preparatory cooking, we took a brisk walk on the heath. There was powder snow, hard ground and hundreds of people out walking their dogs and children. We were back home at the time of light fading for an early evening meal of lamb shanks with figs and honey: a real feast, albeit a little too sweet for my liking. I would love to re-make it in a different way, however if it doesn't improve then it will be relegated to the bench. The gent paired it with this wine, pictured, a very special 1978 vintage (not just a good year for wine - !). Although I was terrifically excited to have the chance to try such a wine, it wouldn't be top of my list to buy again.


Epiphany is an occasion I don't have a family blue-print method of celebrating, food-wise, so I borrow without shame from other countries. Here is the galette des rois I made to mark the day:
A twenty pence piece took place of the charm, hidden inside the frangipane. Perhaps it is just me, but I felt the office momentarily forgot it was post-Christmas January and were genuinely intrigued. Lesley was King for the day and wore the crown for longer than the mere polite person would. Good egg! Anun H-C sent a message to say that next year I should try the Spanish 'Roscon de Reyes' - something I already look forward to.

Another high point in January is the gent's birthday. This is the Guiness cake I made:











We took a long, cold, birthday-related Saturday walk, taking in disused spa-fields, the TV-residence of Poirot and the Barbican. Afterwards we were cold and hungry and this miso, chilli noodle soup spiced us up very well:

No comments: