Sunday 29 April 2012

seedy delights

A recipe I can post with impunity, because I made it up. Creativity borne of realising I didn't have enough butter in the flat.  May I introduce my Citrus Poppy cake?

165g butter and sugar - creamed together. 3 eggs, zest of a lemon and lime, juice of the lime, enough poppy seeds*, then 220-240g self raising flour (I wasn't sure so just kept adding until it looked stiff enough for a cake batter). All scraped into my favourite, silicon loaf mould.

I am still getting used to my oven so the timing instructions read: not at all ready after 40 minutes, but fine after a shade under an hour. I actually forgot about the cake as it was cooling on the side, but happily noticed it in time to add the drizzle topping while it was still hot.

So into a small pan, over the heat, went the juice of the lemon (previously denuded of its zest) with some icing sugar (quantity: keep tasting and adding sugar until it is less blisteringly tart) - heated until melted. I traditionally use a chop stick to stab the cake top all over, before poring over the lemon sugar, ensuring it goes into the middle holes and doesn't just rush to the edges. Leave until cold in the tin: it is sticky to turn out and comes to no harm.

Easy peasy. And very moist. And it didn't last the day.


*lame I know: I just shook them out of the packet until I deemed the mix seedy enough.

No comments: