Thursday 3 May 2012

gordon bennet!


In a long relationship it can sometimes seem as if there are no more surprises.  And then, on a grumpy, drizzly, late, Thursday morning, it all changes.
After 8 years, the only fitting term for my Gordon’s Café habit is ‘long-term’.  My first memory of it was actually when it was a student bar and my colleague took me there for a stiff drink after my handbag had been stolen.  When it became a café, I was a fresh-faced, keen young thing who would, for a treat, arrive super-early to work, just so I could go in for a coffee first (and then only on a pay day!).
Of course I have had grand passions for all the swish new coffee purveyors nearby, and consider it money well spent on happiness (did you know that people who drink coffee are less likely to commit suicide?  FACT from Mr Jeffrey Steingarten’s book*); however Gordon’s was always my fall back guy.
I had a phase of visiting most days with m’colleagues Steve and Debora, and it has always been a firm haunt with Anun.  It has been the backdrop of grim early-to-work busy times, hasty application form-filling, and latterly, having cycled there together, breakfast a deux with the gent before going on to our various work places.
Now once I have tried most things in a place, I tend to stick with what I know is good.  I love the adventure of new things, but thereafter I am reluctant to waste a single meal on anything but enjoying myself.  In Gordon’s I thus eschew any pastry in favour of an almond croissant.  

Today, however, 8 years and 4 months into my Gordon's affair, these were lacking so I had to chose a second.  I can’t bear croissants with icing over - not for the first meal of the day - so chose the twisty, long ones.  Yes, those are the words I used to order them.  I was told they were a ‘chocolate twist’ but, far better than this, the folds were soft and eggy – akin to the best pain au raisin – with dried sour cherries throughout.  Surprisingly fresh and zingy.  

And it has quite revived my affections and made me look anew at my old stalwart café.  I think we may be in our second bloom.

My top 3 in Gordon’s
An almond croissant with a small latte (be eco and bring your own cup); the ‘Naughty but nicoise’ salad for lunch and a raspberry muffin for your handbag.  Just in case. 


* 'It must've been something I ate', in the chapter entitled 'Explaining Espresso'.

No comments: