Tuesday 15 May 2012

over the rainbow (trout)

Awful photo, but the best, last-minute meal.

My knives need sharpening so I didn't fillet the fellow before cooking; instead I pushed fat lemon wedges and thyme sprigs into the trout's cavity, added a splash of oil, then sealed in a baggy foil parcel. 25 or 30 minutes in a hot oven (180 degrees) was plenty.

I was amazed at how fragrant the fish had become, for so very little effort. The juices created kept everything wonderfully moist, making this potentially rather forgiving to being a little over cooked.

Accompanying this beautiful fish was a salad of fennel and chicory, dressed in just lemon, a little oil, an absolute dash of vinegar and a tumble of capers. Odd, but I think I got away with it.

Left over boiled potatoes from Saturday were transformed into sautéed tatties, and the gent cracked open a particularly gooseberryish Sauvignon Blanc.

I also discovered the gent makes a mean sidecar cocktail. Hidden talents from both him and the fish counter, tonight.

No comments: